MMI Human Resources for Health working group (MMI HRH)
MMI HRH is the oldest currently active working group of the MMI Network, focusing initially on the promotion of best practices among NGOs in the field of HRH (education, employment, retention). After a WHA side event in 2009 the MMI HRH working group changed its field of work from fostering, sharing and promoting its members’ technical expertise to influencing global policies and governance, with a particular focus on the promotion and implementation of the WHO Global Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel adopted by the World Health Assembly in 2010.
From 2013 to 2015, the MMI HRH working group was aligned with the MMI engagement in the European project “Health workers for all and all for health workers” HW4All. Currently the working group is focusing its attention on processes and governance issues at a global level.
Everybody should have access to skilled and motivated health workers, everywhere. Wemos’ advocacy capacity on this topic gains strength and impact because it is embedded in a network of global health NGOs under the umbrella of Medicus Mundi International. As working group on HRH we will focus this year on some important global health workforce policy developments such as the adoption of the 5-year implementation plan of the UN Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth and the Global Health Workforce Network. Civil society needs to be there for checks and balances. Join us if you’re concerned with (the lack of) human resources for health.
Linda Mans, Wemos
Critical topics and processes
- Follow-up of the Report of the High-Level Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth (Com-HEEG).
- Implementation of Global Strategy on Human Resources for Health “Workforce2030” and Establishment of “Global Health Workforce Network” (GHWN)
- Establishment of a Global Platform on health workforce mobility
- The 4th Global Forum on Human Resources for Health will be held in Dublin, Ireland from 13-17 November 2017.
- Civil society and global HRH processes: Networking in a vacuum.
- Consolidation and activation of the MMI working group
MMI HRH: Activities 2017
- Provide a space for sharing news and resources on global HRH policy and processes; promote the visibility of individual working group members through the publication and dissemination of joint and individual papers and statements
- Develop and publish formal civil society positions related to key global processes
- Engage in the Global Health Workforce Network GHWN (follower of GHWA)
- Engage in a platform on global health workforce mobility
- Back up civil society representatives in global processes and structures
- Contribute to the global health workforce chapter of Global Health Watch 5 (lead: PHM)
- Promote and consolidate the working group
Order the MMI HRH work plan 2017 at the MMI secretariat!
- 20 May 2015: Global HRH Governance: WHO Global Code of Practice - initial achievements and future challenges. Side event to the World Health Assembly featuring the report on the Code review
- 22 May 2013: WHO Global Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel: Stoking up the fire for Code implementation
- 18 May 2010: WHO Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel: If adopted, ensuring impact?
- 20 May 2009: Quest for Quality. Private not-for profit health institutions address the human resources crises
- MMI HRH news and events: see Monthly MMI newsletter
- MMI HRH updates on Twitter: see HW4All tweets
- MMI thematic guide: Human resources for health
- MMI thematic guide: International migration and recruitment of health personnel
Current members of the MMI working group on Human Resources for Health:
- ITM - IHP Network (Remco van de Pas)
- Medicus Mundi Switzerland (Martin Leschhorn)
Network members: Dedicated newcomers in the HRH workin group are most welcome!
Interested in our work? Consider joining the Medicus Mundi International Network!