Thematic Guide: Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
Our thematic guide leads you beyond the limits of the Medicus Mundi International Network, highlighting some key entry points without intending to be comprehensive. For Network resources, please refer to our thematic pages on maternal and child health. Any important resources missing? Please let us know.
- New emphasis on maternal, newborn and child health
"Focussing on maternal, newborn and child health makes sense from technical, political and human rights perspectives. However, without clarity on future directions, focus and energy could dissipate." Giovanni Putoto, Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in: MMI Network News, January 2011
- Millennium Development Goal 4
Reduce by two-thirds, between 1990 and 2015, the under-five mortality rate
- Millennium Development Goal 5
A. Reduce by three quarters, between 1990 and 2015, the maternal mortality ratio. B. Achieve, by 2015, universal access to reproductive health
- Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH)
"The Partnership (PMNCH) joins the reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) communities into an alliance of more than 450 members to ensure that all women, infants and children not only remain healthy, but thrive." The MMI Network is a member of PMNCH since July 2012.
- WHO: Making Pregnancy Safer
- WHO: Child and Adolescent and Development
- Essential knowledge for maternal, newborn and child health
"This is a gateway to knowledge resources from the more than 400 partner organizations of the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health"
- Every Woman Every Child
United Nations website promoting the Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health
- Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health:
results, resources, oversight
Lives, Protecting Futures: Every Woman Every Child Progress Report 2015
- Strategies toward ending
preventable maternal mortality. WHO strategy paper is out.
- The uses of discomfort.
Towards a new Global Strategy for Women's, Children's and Adolescents' Health.
- Ten top issues for women's
health. WHO feature for International Women's Day, 8 March
- Working towards an end to
FGM. Jules Morgan
- Maternal mortality: a
cross-sectional study in global health. S. Sajedinejad et al. @
- The state of reproductive health R&D for
- Update on the WHO Commission on Ending
Childhood Obesity. WHO Executive Board document
- International Day of Zero Tolerance for
Female Genital Mutilation
- UN calls for FGM zero tolerance after a year
in which the world woke up
- Women's, children's, and adolescents' health:
who will lead? Lancet editorial
- Gender and health – aspects of importance for
understanding health and illness in the world.
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights in
changing health systems. Gita Sen and Veloshnee Govender
- Advancing sexual health through human rights:
The role of the law. Eszter Kismödi et al.
- Sexual and reproductive health: Progress and
outstanding needs. Rachel Snow
- Promoting and protecting the sexual and
reproductive health and rights of adolescents and young people. Special
Supplement to the Journal of Adolescent Health
sterilisation scandal highlights deep problems with India's family planning
- Safe water and
basic sanitation would slash maternal deaths. Aamirah Patel
- Call to Action on
Improving Water, Sanitation, Hygiene for Maternal and Newborn Health. Velleman
- New WHO handbook: Health care for women
subjected to intimate partner, sexual violence
- International Day for the Elimination of
Violence Against Women and Girls
- Violence against
women and girls. The Lancet series
- Preventing violence against women &
children - a new chapter
- Perinatal mental health. Lancet series
- Perinatal mental health: “there is no health
without mental health”. Comment by Louise M Howard et al.
- Where are the women and children in the
post2015 SDGs? Richard Horton
- Estimation of daily risk of neonatal death,
including day of birth, in 186 countries in 2013. Oza et al.
20 November marked 25 years since the
adoption of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- From Risk to
Rights: Realizing States’ Obligations to Prevent and Address Maternal Mortality
- Innovative Community-Based Approaches to
Addressing Access to Sexual Violence Services. Abby Radford
- Creation of a Global Financing Facility to
Advance Women’s and Children’s Health. World Bank press release
- Every Woman, Every Child:
A Post-2015 Vision. 3rd report of independent Expert Review Group
- Tracking Financial
Commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health. PMNCH
- Levels and Trends in Child Mortality. Unicef, WHO, World Bank, UNDESA Report 2014 http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/child_mortality_estimates/en/#.VBiB9kkumcI.twitter
- Putting science into
practice for early child development: Comment by UNICEF and WHO
- Cairo+20: what progress
has been made on women's rights? Achilleas Galatsidas and Liz Ford
- WHO and ICPD Beyond 2014
- Reproductive Health
Supplement: Quality of Care in Maternal and Child Health
death in high-income countries. The Lancet series
health isn’t just about health – it’s about sex too. Pauline
between coverage of MCH interventions and under-5 mortality in 35 SS African
and perinatal health research priorities beyond 2015: a prioritization
exercise. Joao Paulo Souz et al.
- Empowering Women and
Girls: The Impact of Gender Equality on Public Health. Deborah Derrick
- Perceptions of
users and providers on barriers to utilizing skilled birth care in western
Nepal. Sharad Onta et al.
- Advancing the
application of systems thinking in health: understanding the dynamics of
neonatal mortality in Uganda
- Family planning and the post2015
development agenda. Tricia Petruney
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights:
a global development, health, and human rights priority. Temmerman
- Lancet Global Health: focus on neonatal and
- Every Newborn:
an action plan to end preventable deaths
- Fulfilling the
health agenda for women and children: Countdown to 2015 report
- Early marriage - video, research papers, media release, press coverage,
blog - all in one place
- Global, regional
and national levels of neonatal, infant, and under-5 mortality during
1990-2013. Haidong Wang et al.
- Reducing child
deaths: the millennium development goal that is slipping away
- Gender equity
and sexual and reproductive health in Eastern and Southern Africa. McPherson et al.
- Success factors for reducing maternal and child mortality. Shyama Kuruvilla et al. (WHO Bulletin online first, PDF) http://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.14.138131.pdf?ua=1
causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis. Lale Say et al.
- Trends in Maternal Mortality, 1990-2013. Estimates by WHO, UNICEF UNFPA, Worldbank, UN Population Division http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/monitoring/maternal-mortality-2013/en/
- Responding to sexual
violence in armed conflict. Ted Alcorn
Universal Pathway. A Woman's Right to Health. The State of the World’s
- May 28:
International Day of Action for Women's Health: Reducing severe morbidity for
Newborn. Lancet series
plan on newborn health adopted by WHA67
- An inspired
change—stopping sexual violence against women. Lancet editorial
- From concept to measurement: operationalizing
WHO’s definition of unsafe abortion. Bela Ganatra et
- Ending newborn deaths. Ensuring every baby
survives. Report by Save the Children
- Family planning versus contraception: what's
in a name? Maria I Rodríguez et al.
- International Conference on Population and
Development: ICPD Beyond 2014 Global Report
- The State of the World’s Children 2014 in
- Ban Ki-moon's flagship global health
initiative “Every Woman Every Child” in jeopardy. Rchard Horton
- Improving Women's Health through Universal
Health Coverage. Jonathan Quick et al.
- Slow progress in ending female genital
mutilation. Priya Shetty
- Post2015: A comprehensive goal for health
including SRHR, and another for gender equality. Marge Berer
- Every Child's Birth Right. Inequities and
Trends in Birth Registration. UNICEF report
- Birth registration: vital statistics. Lancet
editorial on UNICEF report
- Integrating health care to meet the needs of
the mother–infant pair. PLOS Medicine / MHTF call for papers
- Beyond access to respectful care and informed choice: International Conference on Family Planning
- Global Investment Framework for Women’s and Children’s Health. WHO 2013
- From ideals to tools: Applying human rights to maternal health. Alicia Yamin
- Caring for preterm babies is a test of how we respond to our most vulnerable citizens"
- World Prematurity Day: WHO explains how their preterm deaths infants can be prevented
- Programming strategies for postpartum family planning. WHO, USAIDGH and MCHIP
- 2014 must be the year of the newborn. Lara Brearley
- Development of an action plan for newborn survival and saving mothers' lives
- Universal Children’s Day 2013: Child protection should be a post2015 agenda priority
- Lives on the line. An agenda for ending preventable child deaths. Save the Children
- Measuring maternal health: focus on maternal morbidity. Tabassum Firoz et al.
- Every Woman, Every Child: Strengthening equity and dignity through health.
- Failing women and failing them badly. Richard Horton (member of the
commission) on iERGreport2013
- Lancet Global Health: October issue with a focus on women's and
- The new
women’s health agenda. Ana Langer talks to Fiona Fleck
directions to improve women’s health beyond reproduction. Flavia
Bustreo et al.
action towards universal health coverage by applying a gender lens. Judith
- At the
crossroads: transforming health systems to address women’s health across the
life course. F. Bustreo et al.
health beyond reproduction - a new agenda. Special theme issue of WHO Bulletin,
progress on commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s
Health. PMNCH 2013 report
exemption for maternal care in SS Africa: Review of 11 countries and lessons
for the Region. Richard et al.
under-five deaths down from 12.6 million in 1990 to 6.6 million in 2012. Still,
18,000 children die every day
child deaths down by almost half since 1990. Promise4Children report
maternal mental health should be a priority. Sara Gorman
Killer Gap: A global index of health inequality for children, World Vision
the killer gap in children's health inequality. The Lancet
article by Dr. Carissa Etienne regarding accountability on women's &
exemption policies for better maternal health… New tools, new knowledge? Karen Van der Veken
- Advancing maternal survival in the global context: are our strategies
working? Omar A Khan et al.
- Ending preventable maternal deaths: the time is now. Flavia Bustreo et al.
- Measuring maternal health: focus on maternal morbidity. Tabassum Firoz
et al. in: WHO Bulletin (online first)
report highlights violence against women as a ‘global health problem of
and Child Nutrition. Executive Summary of The Lancet Maternal and Child
Nutrition Series (pdf)
and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income
countries. Robert E Black et al.
Nutrition Actions: Improving maternal, newborn, infant and young child
Nutrition. WHO paper
with disabilities. The State of the World’s Children, UNICEF 2013
with disabilities - invisible no more. Lancet
in maternal health at risk because of data black hole. Liz Ford
Deliver: Third global conference, 28-30 May 2013, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
down health data by ethnicity: Lively debate at Women Deliver conference. Sarah K
Lancet's Women Deliver special issue highlights some of the latest research and
views on maternal health
and global health: evidence, policy, and inconvenient truths. Sarah Hawkes
coverage in maternal, newborn, and child health. PLOS
child survival and child development for health, equity, sustainable
development. Margaret Chan
Pneumonia and Diarrhoea. Lancet series, published on 12 April 2013
Preventable Child Deaths from Pneumonia and Diarrhoea by 2025. Integrated
Global Action Plan
to address childhood pneumonia and diarrhoea equitably: what works and at what
cost? ZA Bhutta et al.
New plan to address pneumonia and diarrhoea could save 2 million children a
Newborn Health Conference 2013: Closing presentation
- Year 2 of
the Maternal Health Task Force (MHTF) - PLOS collection on maternal health - 12
new articles added
findings for maternal mortality age patterns: Aggregated results for 38
countries. Ann K. Blanc et al.
- A call
for accelerated newborn survival: Consultation on Global Newborn Action Plan
child nutrition: The achievable imperative for global Progress. UNICEF report
- Breastfeeding policy: a globally
comparative Analysis. Jody Heymann et al.
http://www.who.int/entity/bulletin/online_first/12-109363.pdf (WHO Bulletin, online first)
- Maternal mortality and morbidity: a
human rights imperative. Navanethem Pillay
the right of the child to health: Issues raised at 22nd Human Rights Council. M.
Sangiorgio in: HDM, p.21
women’s and children's health and lives: Strengthening women and girls rights.
- Impact of
official development aid on maternal and reproductive health outcomes:
Systematic review. EM Taylor et al.
economic benefits of investing in women’s and children’s health. PMNCH
welcome hard-fought UN agreement on women's rights. Liz Ford
financing of maternal and newborn health care: Discussing the evidence. GIZ,
action needed on baby food marketing. Mike Brady
obstetric care in Mali: catastrophic spending & its impoverishing effects
on households. C Arsenault et al.
behaviour of women and the role of traditional birth attendants in Tanzania. C. Pfeiffer / R. Mwaipopo
- Rates and
trends in contraceptive prevalence and unmet need for family planning,
1990-2015. Leontine Alkema et al.
and sustainable future of women and girls worldwide. iERG statement on
International Women’s Day
International Women's Day PHM launched a thematic campaign on Gender &
health - broadening the remit. The Lancet on International Women's Day
A manifesto for maternal health post-2015. Ana Langer, Richard Horton, Guerino Chalamilla
The structural determinants of child well-being. Expert consultation hosted by UNICEF Office of Research, June 2012
Baby health crisis in Indonesia as formula companies push products. Zoe Williams
Creating a maternal health movement. Mariam Claeson et al.
A tipping point for change: saving millions of additional lives in 2013 and beyond. GE Jonathan & J Stoltenberg on MCH
A need for a moral revolution in maternal health care. Aku Kwamie reflects on http://www.gmhc2013.com
Addressing inequity to achieve the maternal and child health millennium development goals: looking beyond averages
Translating coverage gains into health gains for all women and children: The quality care opportunity. WJ Graham et al.
Quality of maternal health care. PLOS collection on maternal health, year 1 (2011-12)
- How Kenyan girls are using the law to fight back against rape. Liz Ford
- Women's choice is key to reduce maternal deaths. The Lancet editorial
- Hospitals, health centres, maternity clinics - WHO Safe Childbirth
- BORN equal. How reducing inequality could give our children a better
future. Save the Children UK, November 2012
- By choice, not by chance: Family planning, human rights and development.
UNFPA State of World Population report 2012
- Born Too Soon: The global action report on preterm birth. WHO 2012
- Child health: reducing inequities. Editorial
- Independent Expert Review Group Accountability report for women's and
children's health now available
- Strategies to improve health coverage and narrow the equity gap in child
survival, health, and nutrition. Chopra et al.
- A wake-up call on contraceptive rates in Africa. John May
- Integrating HIV with reproductive, maternal and child health services.
- Women's and children's health: no time for complacency. Richard Horton
- Keeping our promises to women and children: Roadblocks to ending
maternal and child deaths. Carole Presern
- Analysing progress on commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and
Children’s Health. PMNCH 2012 Report
- Levels and trends in child mortality. UNICEF, WHO, World Bank, UN
Population Division, September 2012
- Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed – Progress Report 2012.
Unicef, September 2012
- Women, abortion and the new technical and policy guidance from WHO.
Mahmoud F Fathalla and Rebecca J Cook
- A "how to" guide for improving maternal and newborn health?
Gary Darmstadt et al. (Gates Foundation)
- Time is ripe for breakthrough on child mortality. M. Tran. With slides:
tackling child mortality
- More than mothers: aligning indicators with women's lives. Stephanie R
Psaki and Funmilola OlaOlorun
- Women's Lives, Women's Voices: Empowering women to ensure family
planning coverage, quality and equity. CARE, July 2012
- Women’s health beyond reproduction: meeting the challenges. Flavia Bustreo et al.
- Will the agenda for child survival survive? Victoria
- A guide to family planning for community health
workers and their clients. Sarah Johnson et al., WHO 2012
- Lancet special issue highlights reproductive,
maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH)
- A decade of change for newborn survival. Save the
- Building a future for women and children. Countdown to
2015 report. WHO/UNICEF 2012
- Bending the curve in child survival. Orin Levine
- Every child deserves a 5th birthday. Campaign and
"Child Survival Call to Action" event in Washington, 14/15 June
- Levels & trends in child mortality. Report 2011.
Estimates by UN inter-agency group for child mortality estimation
- Keeping promises for women and children. Carole
Presern et al.
- Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health:
Progress Report 2010-2011. World Health Organization, May 2012
- Accelerating the global response to reduce maternal
mortality. Tore Godal and Lois Quam
- Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010, UNFPA
- Global, regional, and national causes of child
mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010. Liu et al.
- The global health financing revolution: why maternal health is missing
the boat. G. Ooms et al.
- U.N. SG Ban speaks about need for reproductive health care for young
people and releases UNFPA report. KFF Daily
- Progress in child well-being: Building on what works. ODI / Save the
Children / UNICEF 2012
- ‘How to know what you need to do’: a cross-country comparison of
maternal health guidelines. Ulrika Baker et al.
- Uganda: Pregnancy and childbirth mean playing Russian roulette with
women's lives Jessica Mack
- Family planning: Making the fundamental human right a reality. Babatunde
- UK Government, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announce Family
Planning Summit to take place in London in July 2012
- Accountability for Maternal, Newborn and Child Survival: An update on
progress in priority countries. WHO 2012
- Equity in maternal, newborn, and child health interventions: Review of
survey data from 54 countries. AJD Barros et al.
- Disparities in interventions for child and maternal mortality. Robert L
Goldenberg and Elizabeth M McClure
- Call to submit documentation for good practice/obstacles for achieving
accountability in women’s and children’s health
- A promise to keep: campaign "designed to renew and re-energize the
commitment to end preventable child deaths"
- Integrated social protection systems: Enhancing equity for children.
Natalia Winder and Jenn Yablonski, UNICEF 2012
- Committee on the Rights of the Child: Governments to improve exclusive
breastfeeding and enforce the International Code
- Health Metrics Network and World Health Organization welcome UNHRC birth registration resolution http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2012/HMN_birth_registration/en/index.html
- Why are children missing from WHO targets on non-infectious diseases? Sarah Boseley
- Maternal death: The avoidable crisis. Médecins Sans Frontières, March 2012
- World Bank must re-evaluate its strategies to cut maternal mortality.
- Review: Models of delivery for improving maternal and infant health for
poor people in urban areas. Coast et al. 2012
- The State of the World's Children 2012: Many children in an urban world
lack access to schools, health care, sanitation
- Donor policies fail to bring real and sustained change for women. Andrea
- International Women’s Day: a woman's and a man's (re)view:
Jocalyn Clark http://blogs.plos.org/speakingofmedicine/2012/03/08/happy-international-womens-day-two-steps-forward-one-step-back
Tom Paulson http://humanosphere.kplu.org/2012/03/top-ten-on-womens-day/
- Positioning women's and children's
health in African Union policy-making: A policy analysis. Kadidiatou Toure et
- New Norwegian-led research project to
identify economic benefits of investing in women’s health. PMNCH media release
- A life free from hunger: Tackling child
malnutrition. Save the Children report
- Stop saying the solutions for child
health and malnutrition are so simple. Karen Grepin on "A Life Free from
- Understanding the Girl Effect. Jill
- Will the 'girl effect' really help to
combat poverty? Ofra Koffman on empowering girls and delaying childbearing
- WHO and partners are launching a new
website on results, resources and oversight related to reproductive, maternal,
newborn and child health
- Maternal mortality and human rights:
landmark decision by UN human rights body. J Bueno de Mesquita & E Kismödi
- Economic growth and women’s health
outcomes: A deepening divide? ShareJayati Ghosh
- From population control to human rights.
Women’s health activist Adrienne Germain talks to Sarah Cumberland
- Global health and population. K.
Donnelly recalls that child survival is essential to stabilizing global
- Operationalising sexual &
reproductive health & rights in Subsaharan Africa: constraints, dilemmas,
strategies. RN Oronje et al.
This section of the guide is updated monthlySource: MMI updates on Twitter
- MMI Network meeting: Mother and child health - before and past 2015
Brescia, Italy, 28 October 2011