Thematic Guide: Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
Our thematic guide leads you beyond the limits of the Medicus Mundi International Network, highlighting some key entry points without intending to be comprehensive. For Network resources, please refer to our thematic pages on maternal and child health. Any important resources missing? Please let us know.
- New emphasis on maternal, newborn and child health
"Focussing on maternal, newborn and child health makes sense from technical, political and human rights perspectives. However, without clarity on future directions, focus and energy could dissipate." Giovanni Putoto, Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in: MMI Network News, January 2011
- Millennium Development Goal 4
Reduce by two-thirds, between 1990 and 2015, the under-five mortality rate
- Millennium Development Goal 5
A. Reduce by three quarters, between 1990 and 2015, the maternal mortality ratio. B. Achieve, by 2015, universal access to reproductive health
- Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH)
"The Partnership (PMNCH) joins the reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) communities into an alliance of more than 450 members to ensure that all women, infants and children not only remain healthy, but thrive." The MMI Network is a member of PMNCH since July 2012.
- WHO: Making Pregnancy Safer
- WHO: Child and Adolescent and Development
- Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health
Launched during the United Nations Millennium Development Goals Summit in Sept 2010
- Make every mother and child count
The World Health Report, WHO 2005
- Essential knowledge for maternal, newborn and child health
"This is a gateway to knowledge resources from the more than 400 partner organizations of the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health"
- Every Woman Every Child
United Nations website promoting the Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health
- Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health:
results, resources, oversight
- MMI Network meeting: Mother and child health - before and past 2015
Brescia, Italy, 28 October 2011
child survival and child development for health, equity, sustainable
development. Margaret Chan
Pneumonia and Diarrhoea. Lancet series, published on 12 April 2013
Preventable Child Deaths from Pneumonia and Diarrhoea by 2025. Integrated
Global Action Plan
to address childhood pneumonia and diarrhoea equitably: what works and at what
cost? ZA Bhutta et al.
New plan to address pneumonia and diarrhoea could save 2 million children a
Newborn Health Conference 2013: Closing presentation
- Year 2 of
the Maternal Health Task Force (MHTF) - PLOS collection on maternal health - 12
new articles added
findings for maternal mortality age patterns: Aggregated results for 38
countries. Ann K. Blanc et al.
- A call
for accelerated newborn survival: Consultation on Global Newborn Action Plan
child nutrition: The achievable imperative for global Progress. UNICEF report
- Breastfeeding policy: a globally
comparative Analysis. Jody Heymann et al.
http://www.who.int/entity/bulletin/online_first/12-109363.pdf (WHO Bulletin, online first)
- Maternal mortality and morbidity: a
human rights imperative. Navanethem Pillay
the right of the child to health: Issues raised at 22nd Human Rights Council. M.
Sangiorgio in: HDM, p.21
women’s and children's health and lives: Strengthening women and girls rights.
- Impact of
official development aid on maternal and reproductive health outcomes:
Systematic review. EM Taylor et al.
economic benefits of investing in women’s and children’s health. PMNCH
welcome hard-fought UN agreement on women's rights. Liz Ford
financing of maternal and newborn health care: Discussing the evidence. GIZ,
action needed on baby food marketing. Mike Brady
obstetric care in Mali: catastrophic spending & its impoverishing effects
on households. C Arsenault et al.
behaviour of women and the role of traditional birth attendants in Tanzania. C. Pfeiffer / R. Mwaipopo
- Rates and
trends in contraceptive prevalence and unmet need for family planning,
1990-2015. Leontine Alkema et al.
and sustainable future of women and girls worldwide. iERG statement on
International Women’s Day
International Women's Day PHM launched a thematic campaign on Gender &
health - broadening the remit. The Lancet on International Women's Day
A manifesto for maternal health post-2015. Ana Langer, Richard Horton, Guerino Chalamilla
The structural determinants of child well-being. Expert consultation hosted by UNICEF Office of Research, June 2012
Baby health crisis in Indonesia as formula companies push products. Zoe Williams
Creating a maternal health movement. Mariam Claeson et al.
A tipping point for change: saving millions of additional lives in 2013 and beyond. GE Jonathan & J Stoltenberg on MCH
A need for a moral revolution in maternal health care. Aku Kwamie reflects on http://www.gmhc2013.com
Addressing inequity to achieve the maternal and child health millennium development goals: looking beyond averages
Translating coverage gains into health gains for all women and children: The quality care opportunity. WJ Graham et al.
Quality of maternal health care. PLOS collection on maternal health, year 1 (2011-12)
- How Kenyan girls are using the law to fight back against rape. Liz Ford
- Women's choice is key to reduce maternal deaths. The Lancet editorial
- Hospitals, health centres, maternity clinics - WHO Safe Childbirth
- BORN equal. How reducing inequality could give our children a better
future. Save the Children UK, November 2012
- By choice, not by chance: Family planning, human rights and development.
UNFPA State of World Population report 2012
- Born Too Soon: The global action report on preterm birth. WHO 2012
- Child health: reducing inequities. Editorial
- Independent Expert Review Group Accountability report for women's and
children's health now available
- Strategies to improve health coverage and narrow the equity gap in child
survival, health, and nutrition. Chopra et al.
- A wake-up call on contraceptive rates in Africa. John May
- Integrating HIV with reproductive, maternal and child health services.
- Women's and children's health: no time for complacency. Richard Horton
- Keeping our promises to women and children: Roadblocks to ending
maternal and child deaths. Carole Presern
- Analysing progress on commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and
Children’s Health. PMNCH 2012 Report
- Levels and trends in child mortality. UNICEF, WHO, World Bank, UN
Population Division, September 2012
- Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed – Progress Report 2012.
Unicef, September 2012
- Women, abortion and the new technical and policy guidance from WHO.
Mahmoud F Fathalla and Rebecca J Cook
- A "how to" guide for improving maternal and newborn health?
Gary Darmstadt et al. (Gates Foundation)
- Time is ripe for breakthrough on child mortality. M. Tran. With slides:
tackling child mortality
- More than mothers: aligning indicators with women's lives. Stephanie R
Psaki and Funmilola OlaOlorun
- Women's Lives, Women's Voices: Empowering women to ensure family
planning coverage, quality and equity. CARE, July 2012
- Women’s health beyond reproduction: meeting the challenges. Flavia Bustreo et al.
- Will the agenda for child survival survive? Victoria
- A guide to family planning for community health
workers and their clients. Sarah Johnson et al., WHO 2012
- Lancet special issue highlights reproductive,
maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH)
- A decade of change for newborn survival. Save the
- Building a future for women and children. Countdown to
2015 report. WHO/UNICEF 2012
- Bending the curve in child survival. Orin Levine
- Every child deserves a 5th birthday. Campaign and
"Child Survival Call to Action" event in Washington, 14/15 June
- Levels & trends in child mortality. Report 2011.
Estimates by UN inter-agency group for child mortality estimation
- Keeping promises for women and children. Carole
Presern et al.
- Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health:
Progress Report 2010-2011. World Health Organization, May 2012
- Accelerating the global response to reduce maternal
mortality. Tore Godal and Lois Quam
- Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010, UNFPA
- Global, regional, and national causes of child
mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010. Liu et al.
- The global health financing revolution: why maternal health is missing
the boat. G. Ooms et al.
- U.N. SG Ban speaks about need for reproductive health care for young
people and releases UNFPA report. KFF Daily
- Progress in child well-being: Building on what works. ODI / Save the
Children / UNICEF 2012
- ‘How to know what you need to do’: a cross-country comparison of
maternal health guidelines. Ulrika Baker et al.
- Uganda: Pregnancy and childbirth mean playing Russian roulette with
women's lives Jessica Mack
- Family planning: Making the fundamental human right a reality. Babatunde
- UK Government, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announce Family
Planning Summit to take place in London in July 2012
- Accountability for Maternal, Newborn and Child Survival: An update on
progress in priority countries. WHO 2012
- Equity in maternal, newborn, and child health interventions: Review of
survey data from 54 countries. AJD Barros et al.
- Disparities in interventions for child and maternal mortality. Robert L
Goldenberg and Elizabeth M McClure
- Call to submit documentation for good practice/obstacles for achieving
accountability in women’s and children’s health
- A promise to keep: campaign "designed to renew and re-energize the
commitment to end preventable child deaths"
- Integrated social protection systems: Enhancing equity for children.
Natalia Winder and Jenn Yablonski, UNICEF 2012
- Committee on the Rights of the Child: Governments to improve exclusive
breastfeeding and enforce the International Code
- Health Metrics Network and World Health Organization welcome UNHRC birth registration resolution http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2012/HMN_birth_registration/en/index.html
- Why are children missing from WHO targets on non-infectious diseases? Sarah Boseley
- Maternal death: The avoidable crisis. Médecins Sans Frontières, March 2012
- World Bank must re-evaluate its strategies to cut maternal mortality.
- Review: Models of delivery for improving maternal and infant health for
poor people in urban areas. Coast et al. 2012
- The State of the World's Children 2012: Many children in an urban world
lack access to schools, health care, sanitation
- Donor policies fail to bring real and sustained change for women. Andrea
- International Women’s Day: a woman's and a man's (re)view:
Jocalyn Clark http://blogs.plos.org/speakingofmedicine/2012/03/08/happy-international-womens-day-two-steps-forward-one-step-back
Tom Paulson http://humanosphere.kplu.org/2012/03/top-ten-on-womens-day/
- Positioning women's and children's
health in African Union policy-making: A policy analysis. Kadidiatou Toure et
- New Norwegian-led research project to
identify economic benefits of investing in women’s health. PMNCH media release
- A life free from hunger: Tackling child
malnutrition. Save the Children report
- Stop saying the solutions for child
health and malnutrition are so simple. Karen Grepin on "A Life Free from
- Understanding the Girl Effect. Jill
- Will the 'girl effect' really help to
combat poverty? Ofra Koffman on empowering girls and delaying childbearing
- WHO and partners are launching a new
website on results, resources and oversight related to reproductive, maternal,
newborn and child health
- Maternal mortality and human rights:
landmark decision by UN human rights body. J Bueno de Mesquita & E Kismödi
- Economic growth and women’s health
outcomes: A deepening divide? ShareJayati Ghosh
- From population control to human rights.
Women’s health activist Adrienne Germain talks to Sarah Cumberland
- Global health and population. K.
Donnelly recalls that child survival is essential to stabilizing global
- Operationalising sexual &
reproductive health & rights in Subsaharan Africa: constraints, dilemmas,
strategies. RN Oronje et al.
Source: MMI Updates on Twitter