Thematic Guide: Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
Our thematic guide leads you beyond the limits
of the Medicus Mundi International Network, highlighting some key entry points without intending to be comprehensive. For Network resources, please refer to our thematic pages on maternal and child health. Any important resources missing? Please let us know.
- New emphasis on maternal, newborn and child health
"Focussing on maternal, newborn and child health makes sense from technical, political and human rights perspectives. However, without clarity on future directions, focus and energy could dissipate." Giovanni Putoto, Doctors with Africa Cuamm, in: MMI Network News, January 2011
For further resources of the Medicus Mundi International Network,
please refer to our thematic pages on child health and safe pregnancy / maternal health.
- Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH)
"The Partnership (PMNCH) joins the reproductive, maternal, newborn and
child health (RMNCH) communities into an alliance of more than 450
members to ensure that all women, infants and children not only remain
healthy, but thrive." The MMI Network is a member of PMNCH since July 2012.
- WHO: Making Pregnancy Safer
- WHO: Child and Adolescent and Development
We have stopped updating this thematic guide in May 2016.
- Ending preventable
stillbirths. Lancet series
- Operational plan to take forward the Global
Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health. Document for WHO
Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2015. Estimates
UN Global Strategy for Women's,
Children's and Adolescents' Health 2016-2030
Global Maternal and Newborn Health
Improving preterm birth outcomes: WHO launches new guidance
Achieving SDG targets for maternal,
newborn and stillbirth: Does the world know what it takes?
Multisectoral action on determinants of
reproductive, maternal, newborn & child health post2015. Rasanathan et al.
2030: Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the context of the SDGs. Alanna
Commission on sexual and reproductive health and rights
Gender equality - the neglected SDG for health.
Richard Horton "offline"
health and the Sustainable Development Goals. Veronica Magar
Human rights and
accountability fundamental to addressing disparities in sexual and reproductive
health. Rebecca Brown
WHO recommendations on
interventions to improve preterm birth outcomes
Sexual health, human rights, and law - Lancet
Advancing reproductive health on the humanitarian
agenda IAWG Global Evaluation 2012-2014
Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed –
Progress Report 2015
Child mortality rates plunge by more than half since
1990 but global MDG target missed by wide margin
Updated WHO fact sheet on child mortality
Global, regional, national levels & trends in
under-5 mortality between 1990 and 2015, with projections to 2030 (UNIGME) http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2815%2900120-8/fulltext?rss=yes
Child survival in 2015: much accomplished, but more to
do. Li Liu, Robert E Black
The slippery target for child survival in the Agenda
for Sustainable Development. Elizabeth D. Gibbons
WHO recommendations on
interventions to improve preterm birth outcomes.
- State of inequality: Reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health. WHO
- Zero draft of
Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s & Adolescents’ Health launched for
- Knowledge for
effective action to improve the health of women, children, adolescents post2015:
call for papers
- From commitment
to action: SRHR for Sustainable Development. Mridula Shankar
Lives, Protecting Futures: Every Woman Every Child Progress Report 2015
- Strategies toward ending
preventable maternal mortality. WHO strategy paper is out.
- The uses of discomfort.
Towards a new Global Strategy for Women's, Children's and Adolescents' Health.
- Ten top issues for women's
health. WHO feature for International Women's Day, 8 March
- Working towards an end to
FGM. Jules Morgan
- Maternal mortality: a
cross-sectional study in global health. S. Sajedinejad et al. @
- The state of reproductive health R&D for
- Update on the WHO Commission on Ending
Childhood Obesity. WHO Executive Board document
- International Day of Zero Tolerance for
Female Genital Mutilation
- UN calls for FGM zero tolerance after a year
in which the world woke up
- Women's, children's, and adolescents' health:
who will lead? Lancet editorial
- Gender and health – aspects of importance for
understanding health and illness in the world.
- Every Newborn:
an action plan to end preventable deaths
- Fulfilling the
health agenda for women and children: Countdown to 2015 report
- Early marriage - video, research papers, media release, press coverage,
blog - all in one place
- WHO position for the post2015 agenda: a serious
regression from its long-standing commitments on SRHR. Marge Berer
- Global, regional
and national levels of neonatal, infant, and under-5 mortality during
1990-2013. Haidong Wang et al.
- Reducing child
deaths: the millennium development goal that is slipping away
- Gender equity
and sexual and reproductive health in Eastern and Southern Africa. McPherson et al.
factors for reducing maternal and child mortality. Shyama Kuruvilla et al. (WHO
Bulletin online first, PDF) http://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.14.138131.pdf?ua=1
causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis. Lale Say et al.
- Trends in
Maternal Mortality, 1990-2013. Estimates by WHO, UNICEF UNFPA, Worldbank, UN
Population Division http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/monitoring/maternal-mortality-2013/en/
- Responding to sexual
violence in armed conflict. Ted Alcorn
Universal Pathway. A Woman's Right to Health. The State of the World’s
- May 28:
International Day of Action for Women's Health: Reducing severe morbidity for
- Beyond access to respectful care and informed choice: International Conference on Family Planning
- Global Investment Framework for Women’s and Children’s Health. WHO 2013
- From ideals to tools: Applying human rights to maternal health. Alicia Yamin
- Caring for preterm babies is a test of how we respond to our most vulnerable citizens"
- World Prematurity Day: WHO explains how their preterm deaths infants can be prevented
- Programming strategies for postpartum family planning. WHO, USAIDGH and MCHIP
- 2014 must be the year of the newborn. Lara Brearley
- Development of an action plan for newborn survival and saving mothers' lives
- Universal Children’s Day 2013: Child protection should be a post2015 agenda priority
- Lives on the line. An agenda for ending preventable child deaths. Save the Children
- Measuring maternal health: focus on maternal morbidity. Tabassum Firoz et al.
- Every Woman, Every Child: Strengthening equity and dignity through health.
- Failing women and failing them badly. Richard Horton (member of the
commission) on iERGreport2013
- Lancet Global Health: October issue with a focus on women's and
- The new
women’s health agenda. Ana Langer talks to Fiona Fleck
directions to improve women’s health beyond reproduction. Flavia
Bustreo et al.
action towards universal health coverage by applying a gender lens. Judith
- At the
crossroads: transforming health systems to address women’s health across the
life course. F. Bustreo et al.
health beyond reproduction - a new agenda. Special theme issue of WHO Bulletin,
progress on commitments to the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s
Health. PMNCH 2013 report
exemption for maternal care in SS Africa: Review of 11 countries and lessons
for the Region. Richard et al.
under-five deaths down from 12.6 million in 1990 to 6.6 million in 2012. Still,
18,000 children die every day
child deaths down by almost half since 1990. Promise4Children report
maternal mental health should be a priority. Sara Gorman
Killer Gap: A global index of health inequality for children, World Vision
the killer gap in children's health inequality. The Lancet
article by Dr. Carissa Etienne regarding accountability on women's &
exemption policies for better maternal health… New tools, new knowledge? Karen Van der Veken
- Advancing maternal survival in the global context: are our strategies
working? Omar A Khan et al.
- Ending preventable maternal deaths: the time is now. Flavia Bustreo et al.
- Measuring maternal health: focus on maternal morbidity. Tabassum Firoz
et al. in: WHO Bulletin (online first)
report highlights violence against women as a ‘global health problem of
and Child Nutrition. Executive Summary of The Lancet Maternal and Child
Nutrition Series (pdf)
and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income
countries. Robert E Black et al.
Nutrition Actions: Improving maternal, newborn, infant and young child
Nutrition. WHO paper
with disabilities. The State of the World’s Children, UNICEF 2013
with disabilities - invisible no more. Lancet
in maternal health at risk because of data black hole. Liz Ford
Deliver: Third global conference, 28-30 May 2013, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
down health data by ethnicity: Lively debate at Women Deliver conference. Sarah K
Lancet's Women Deliver special issue highlights some of the latest research and
views on maternal health
and global health: evidence, policy, and inconvenient truths. Sarah Hawkes
coverage in maternal, newborn, and child health. PLOS
child survival and child development for health, equity, sustainable
development. Margaret Chan
Pneumonia and Diarrhoea. Lancet series, published on 12 April 2013
Preventable Child Deaths from Pneumonia and Diarrhoea by 2025. Integrated
Global Action Plan
to address childhood pneumonia and diarrhoea equitably: what works and at what
cost? ZA Bhutta et al.
New plan to address pneumonia and diarrhoea could save 2 million children a
Newborn Health Conference 2013: Closing presentation
- Year 2 of
the Maternal Health Task Force (MHTF) - PLOS collection on maternal health - 12
new articles added
findings for maternal mortality age patterns: Aggregated results for 38
countries. Ann K. Blanc et al.
- A call
for accelerated newborn survival: Consultation on Global Newborn Action Plan
child nutrition: The achievable imperative for global Progress. UNICEF report
- Breastfeeding policy: a globally
comparative Analysis. Jody Heymann et al.
http://www.who.int/entity/bulletin/online_first/12-109363.pdf (WHO Bulletin, online first)
- Maternal mortality and morbidity: a
human rights imperative. Navanethem Pillay
the right of the child to health: Issues raised at 22nd Human Rights Council. M.
Sangiorgio in: HDM, p.21
women’s and children's health and lives: Strengthening women and girls rights.
- Impact of
official development aid on maternal and reproductive health outcomes:
Systematic review. EM Taylor et al.
economic benefits of investing in women’s and children’s health. PMNCH
welcome hard-fought UN agreement on women's rights. Liz Ford
financing of maternal and newborn health care: Discussing the evidence. GIZ,
action needed on baby food marketing. Mike Brady
obstetric care in Mali: catastrophic spending & its impoverishing effects
on households. C Arsenault et al.
behaviour of women and the role of traditional birth attendants in Tanzania. C. Pfeiffer / R. Mwaipopo
- Rates and
trends in contraceptive prevalence and unmet need for family planning,
1990-2015. Leontine Alkema et al.
and sustainable future of women and girls worldwide. iERG statement on
International Women’s Day
International Women's Day PHM launched a thematic campaign on Gender &
health - broadening the remit. The Lancet on International Women's Day
A manifesto for maternal health
post-2015. Ana Langer, Richard Horton, Guerino
The structural determinants of child well-being. Expert consultation
hosted by UNICEF Office of Research, June 2012
Baby health crisis in Indonesia as formula companies push products. Zoe
Creating a maternal health movement. Mariam Claeson et al.
A tipping point for change: saving millions of additional lives in 2013
and beyond. GE Jonathan & J Stoltenberg on MCH
A need for a moral revolution in maternal health care. Aku Kwamie reflects
Addressing inequity to achieve the maternal and child health millennium
development goals: looking beyond averages
Translating coverage gains into health gains for all women and children:
The quality care opportunity. WJ Graham et al.
Quality of maternal health care. PLOS collection on maternal health,
year 1 (2011-12)
- Levels and trends in child mortality. UNICEF, WHO, World Bank, UN
Population Division, September 2012
- Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed – Progress Report 2012.
Unicef, September 2012
- Women, abortion and the new technical and policy guidance from WHO.
Mahmoud F Fathalla and Rebecca J Cook
- A "how to" guide for improving maternal and newborn health?
Gary Darmstadt et al. (Gates Foundation)
- Time is ripe for breakthrough on child mortality. M. Tran. With slides:
tackling child mortality
- More than mothers: aligning indicators with women's lives. Stephanie R
Psaki and Funmilola OlaOlorun
- Women's Lives, Women's Voices: Empowering women to ensure family
planning coverage, quality and equity. CARE, July 2012
- Women’s health beyond reproduction: meeting the challenges. Flavia Bustreo et al.
- Will the agenda for child survival survive? Victoria
- A guide to family planning for community health
workers and their clients. Sarah Johnson et al., WHO 2012
- Lancet special issue highlights reproductive,
maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH)
- A decade of change for newborn survival. Save the
- Building a future for women and children. Countdown to
2015 report. WHO/UNICEF 2012
- The global health financing revolution: why maternal health is missing
the boat. G. Ooms et al.
- U.N. SG Ban speaks about need for reproductive health care for young
people and releases UNFPA report. KFF Daily
- Progress in child well-being: Building on what works. ODI / Save the
Children / UNICEF 2012
- ‘How to know what you need to do’: a cross-country comparison of
maternal health guidelines. Ulrika Baker et al.
- Uganda: Pregnancy and childbirth mean playing Russian roulette with
women's lives Jessica Mack
- Family planning: Making the fundamental human right a reality. Babatunde
- UK Government, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announce Family
Planning Summit to take place in London in July 2012
- Accountability for Maternal, Newborn and Child Survival: An update on
progress in priority countries. WHO 2012
- Equity in maternal, newborn, and child health interventions: Review of
survey data from 54 countries. AJD Barros et al.
- Disparities in interventions for child and maternal mortality. Robert L
Goldenberg and Elizabeth M McClure
- Call to submit documentation for good practice/obstacles for achieving
accountability in women’s and children’s health
- A promise to keep: campaign "designed to renew and re-energize the
commitment to end preventable child deaths"
- Integrated social protection systems: Enhancing equity for children.
Natalia Winder and Jenn Yablonski, UNICEF 2012
- Committee on the Rights of the Child: Governments to improve exclusive
breastfeeding and enforce the International Code
- Health Metrics Network and World Health Organization welcome UNHRC birth
registration resolution http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2012/HMN_birth_registration/en/index.html
- Why are children missing from WHO targets on non-infectious diseases? Sarah Boseley
- Maternal death: The avoidable crisis. Médecins Sans Frontières, March 2012
- World Bank must re-evaluate its strategies to cut maternal mortality.
- Review: Models of delivery for improving maternal and infant health for
poor people in urban areas. Coast et al. 2012
- The State of the World's Children 2012: Many children in an urban world
lack access to schools, health care, sanitation
- Donor policies fail to bring real and sustained change for women. Andrea
- International Women’s Day: a woman's and a man's (re)view:
Jocalyn Clark http://blogs.plos.org/speakingofmedicine/2012/03/08/happy-international-womens-day-two-steps-forward-one-step-back
Tom Paulson http://humanosphere.kplu.org/2012/03/top-ten-on-womens-day/
- Positioning women's and children's
health in African Union policy-making: A policy analysis. Kadidiatou Toure et
- New Norwegian-led research project to
identify economic benefits of investing in women’s health. PMNCH media release
- A life free from hunger: Tackling child
malnutrition. Save the Children report
- Stop saying the solutions for child
health and malnutrition are so simple. Karen Grepin on "A Life Free from
- Understanding the Girl Effect. Jill
- Will the 'girl effect' really help to
combat poverty? Ofra Koffman on empowering girls and delaying childbearing
- WHO and partners are launching a new
website on results, resources and oversight related to reproductive, maternal,
newborn and child health
- Maternal mortality and human rights:
landmark decision by UN human rights body. J Bueno de Mesquita & E Kismödi
- Economic growth and women’s health
outcomes: A deepening divide? ShareJayati Ghosh
- From population control to human rights.
Women’s health activist Adrienne Germain talks to Sarah Cumberland
- Global health and population. K.
Donnelly recalls that child survival is essential to stabilizing global
- Operationalising sexual &
reproductive health & rights in Subsaharan Africa: constraints, dilemmas,
strategies. RN Oronje et al.
This section of the guide is updated monthly
Source: MMI updates on Twitter
- Essential knowledge for maternal, newborn and child health
"This is a gateway to knowledge resources from the more than 400 partner organizations of the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health"
- Every Woman Every Child
United Nations website promoting the Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health
- Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health:
results, resources, oversight
- MMI Network meeting: Mother and child health - before and past 2015
Brescia, Italy, 28 October 2011